Foreign Ministry Urges Ukrainians to Boycott 2018 World Cup in Russia

Pavlo Klimkin said that security in Russia is not guaranteed

uatv
16.05.2018

Photo from Ukrinform

 

Ukrainian Foreign Minister  called on Ukrainians to refrain from traveling to Russia for the 2018 football World Cup.

“I urge all Ukrainians not to go to Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Provocations are guaranteed, and security there is not ensured by anyone,” Klimkin said.

The World Cup will be held in Russia from June 14 to July 15.

Britain already announced last month that ministers and members of the royal family will stay away from the World Cup. Iceland also has followed in Britain’s footsteps. Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Australia and Japan are also expected to boycott one of the world’s biggest competitions.

Previously, Ukraine’s National Public Television Company said that it will not broadcast the World Cup.

Klimkin also earlier said that Ukraine has been negotiating with various football federations to ban the competition from taking place. “We negotiate with different federations. I can open this question. We also talk to different fan organizations towards the ways to open different political issues: boycotting this tournament or clearly stating the position on the stay in Russia,” Klimkin claimed at the press conference.

UATV also reported in April that German member of European Parliament, Rebecca Harms, who is also a co-chair of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, called on European governments to boycott the World Cup. 

Her appeal was supported by 60 members of the European Parliament from 16 member states and five different political groups across the European Parliament. 

Source Ukrinform
date 16.05.2018
categories Sport
share
Top UA|TV News