Last Week in Donbas Worse this Year – OSCE

7,700 ceasefire violations recorded

uatv
22.05.2018

Photo from Ukrinform – UATV

The security situation in eastern Ukraine last week was in many ways the worst since the beginning of this year, with almost 7,700 ceasefire violations recorded, according to Principal Deputy Chief Monitor of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (OSCE SMM) Alexander Hug.

“Last week was in many ways the worst we have seen so far this year. In total, we recorded almost 7,700 ceasefire violations. On some days, the level of violence was similar to a phase of the conflict we had thought had been left in the past,” Hug said at a briefing in Kyiv on Monday.

In particular, according to him, on the night of May 16 and early on May 17, in Svitlodarsk, the SMM heard almost 500 explosions and about 860 shots and bursts of heavy machinegun and small arms fire.

Of particular concern was the situation in Horlivka, where for a long time a relative calm had prevailed, he said.

“On Thursday night-early Friday morning, that calm had nowhere to be seen. Our monitoring officers at the SMM for a patrol base in Horlivka heard about 140 explosions, mostly artillery and tank fire, plus shots and bursts of an anti-aircraft gun, heavy machinegun, and small arms fire,” Hug said.

Source Ukrinform
date 22.05.2018
categories Donbas
share
Top UA|TV News