Released Prisoners’ Adapting to Civilian Life

They need rehabilitation after what they experienced. It could last from several months to a year.

The 24 Ukrainian sailors and 11 political prisoners who returned to Ukraine on Saturday (Sep. 7) as part of a prisoner swap between Ukraine and Russia are currently being examined at the Kyiv Military Hospital and Feofania Clinical Hospital. Doctors say the condition of most of those who’ve returned is satisfactory.

Freed from captivity, the youngest of the Ukrainian sailors, Andriy Eider, asked his girlfriend to marry him.

“According to the plan, when he was arriving, he was supposed to come out of the plane and drop on his knees and you know, the rest. But it turned out that I could not get there in time and he proposed in the hospital ward. He said ‘Will you be my wife?'” Mariya Verbytska said.

Andriy Eider, 19, has been dating Verbytska for three years. During nine months of captivity, they lived apart, with no dates or phone calls. They communicated only through paper letters, which were handed over through a lawyer.

“He wrote that he loved and missed me very much. Basically, this was all that was in the letter. He wrote poetry with his soul. He put his whole soul into it,” she said.

Now Verbytska said she isn’t leaving his side for a minute. She even sleeps in the hospital ward with her beloved. He needs to have all the shrapnel removed from his leg. The sailors are all undergoing full examinations in the military hospital. They will stay there for at least a week.

According to relatives, during rehabilitation, sailors are still actively interested in Ukrainian news.

“They were mostly asking about how people here spent their time waiting for their return. What was going on in the meanwhile? They were very interested to hear about all the rallies that were organized here to demand their release. Now they are all keeping their phones close – checking messages and receiving congratulations. They are very happy to be home and very grateful to Ukraine and all the people who supported them throughout the past nine months,” Eleonora Novak, the mother of released prisoner Vyacheslav Zinchenko, said.

In a couple of hours, Stanislav Klykh was transferred from Feofania to another hospital. His health suffered after numerous tortures. Klykh requires specialized medical assistance. Now in Feofania, there are eight former political prisoners and their relatives. However, none of them need emergency care. Roman Sushchenko will undergo outpatient treatment since he is living in Kyiv. Oleh Sentsov also took leave, but doctors are in touch with him. His mother also needs treatment. Relatives will also be provided with assistance.

“Over the weekend we did some medical examinations. We have preliminary diagnoses for everyone who is here. We’ll also carry out a more detailed diagnostic examination, and maybe later there will be a question of transferring to other medical departments to provide assistance or for specific procedures,” Chief Physician Ihor Semeniv said.

The patients are determined and follow all the doctors’ instructions. They passed all the necessary tests. They seriously took care of their health. The wife of Edem Bekirov says that the health of all the prisoners was severely undermined.

“Everyone is thinking about what he will do tomorrow. But first, they need to improve their health. Everything will be fine. For nine months prison authorities destroyed a person as much as they could. They tortured my husband by not giving him medicine,” she said.

Psychologists have already begun working with the former political prisoners. Everyone needs rehabilitation after what they’ve experienced. It could last from several months to a year.

Source UATV
date 10.09.2019
categories News releases, Prisoners of Kremlin
Top UA|TV News